1934 yardage: 145, par 3
"The tee shot to this hole will be played by the tournament players with a number 2-, 3- or 4-iron, depending upon the wind."
--- Bobby Jones
- Stream in front of green transformed into a pond, 1947
Did it work?
The pond rarely comes into play, and players rarely use long irons on this hole. Tiger Woods hit 8-iron long in 2005 before his dramatic chip-in. Again, getting the tee shot on the same level with the hole is the most important task.
Recent photos from No. 16
2011 Pin Placements
Redbud Cercis canadensis
- Deciduous flowering tree
- Blooms March to May; clusters of small orchid-pink blooms before new heart-shaped leaves appear; followed by long seed pods
- Called Judas tree based on myth that Judas Iscariot hanged himself on the related Cercis siliquastrum
Spot it on the course
- It grows behind the 16th tee, left of the pond and right of the fairway cut.
Where and how the plant grows
- Native to Eastern U.S.
- Grows 20 to 30 feet high and 15 to 25 feet wide
- Full sun to shade (in Southern zones)
- Moist, well-drained, fertile soil
- High drought tolerance
- Propagation by seed